Step 1 — Lower Case
- Remove the following ten screws:
- Three 14.4 mm Phillips #00 screws
- Three 3.5 mm Phillips #00 screws
- Four 3.5 mm shouldered Phillips #00 screws
- Use your fingers to pry the lower case away from the body of the MacBook near the vent.
- Remove the lower case.
Step 3 — Battery Connection
- Use the edge of a spudger to pry the battery connector upwards from its socket on the logic board.
- It is useful to pry upward on both short sides of the connector to “walk” it out of its socket. Be careful with the corners of the connectors, they can be easily broken off.
- Bend the battery cable slightly away from its socket on the logic board so it does not accidentally connect itself while you work.
- Remove the two Phillips screws securing the hard drive bracket to the upper case.
- These screws will remain attached to the hard drive bracket.
- Remove the hard drive bracket.
- The hard drive bracket may be firmly seated against the upper case.
- Use the attached pull tab to lift the hard drive out of the upper case.
- Don’t try to completely remove the hard drive just yet. It is still attached to the hard drive cable.
- Pull the hard drive cable away from the body of the hard drive.
- Remove the hard drive.